TikTok owner ByteDance bolstered its lineup of VR headsets on Thursday, unveiling the new Pico 4 and 4 Pro as powerful alternatives to the Meta Oculus. Prices start at €429 ($421.79).
Important reasons: The Chinese tech giant is clearly eyeing the VR market and this is the company’s first VR product. acquisition Beijing-based company Pico was acquired last year for 9 billion yuan ($1.27 billion).
- ByteDance is the first to launch the series outside of China. This is a departure from most Chinese home appliance vendors and a cue to prioritize the global market.
detail: The Pico 4 will begin shipping October 18th in 13 European countries, including Japan, South Korea, the UK, France, Germany and Spain. It will also be available in China, Singapore and Malaysia later this year. No US release has been announced.
- The Pico 4 features a standalone design similar to its predecessor, using the same 7nm Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 processor that supports connectivity with Windows devices. The new generation features a larger 8 GB RAM and a larger 4,320 x 2,160 resolution.
- According to the company, the new product uses the popular pancake optical module, which is lighter and smaller in size than traditional Fresnel lenses. It offers a 105-degree field of view at 20.6 pixels per degree (PPD) and a 90Hz refresh rate.
- According to the headset’s official specs page, the Pico 4 has a 5,300 mAh battery that lasts for 3 hours. The battery is on a strip behind the head to aid balance.
- The headset uses inside-out tracking technology to locate the user without external beacons or equipment. It comes with four cameras and supports full-color passthrough functionality to create mixed reality. Rival Meta Still Working.
- Pico 4 also comes with two motion controllers that support vibration feedback.
- At the launch event, Pico announced content partnerships with Ubisoft, Les Mills International and Discovery for games, fitness courses and video streaming respectively. The popular dance game Just Dance will come exclusively to Pico, and a dedicated social platform, Project Pico World, will also be available in his 2023.
- The main difference between the standard version and the Pro version (coming soon) is that the Pro is equipped with 3 infrared cameras for eye and face tracking, with precise measurement of interpupillary distance and IPD and stepless automatic The adjustment is to ensure the image quality. Reduce discomfort.
environment: Established in March 2015, Pico is a leading VR hardware and services vendor. In addition to products for the consumer market, we also serve corporate customers in the fields of education and healthcare.
- Taken by pico 11% of the global XR market It ranks third overall for shipments in the second quarter of this year. Main rival Meta dominated the market with a 66% market share during the same period, according to Hong Kong-based research firm Counterpoint.